Monday, November 7, 2011

Soup of the Day #22: Blood Orange- Dinner


I fell in love with Lightspeed Champion way before I knew him as Devonte Hynes, or the prolific writer that has penned hits for artists such as Florence and the Machine, The Chemical Brothers, Diana Vickers, Solange Knowles, and Thephilus London. Mixing vintage brit-pop sounds with quirky modern pop melodies, Devonte, as Lightspeed Champion, made two endearing records (Falling Off the Lavender Bridge and Life is Sweet! Nice to Meet You) that continue to find a place in my short rotation. When I first heard him as Blood Orange, I was immediately infected. I had no idea it was the weird motherfucker with the bushy wig.

"Dinner" is a Prince-esque summer jam that will haunt your repeat button. Produced by Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear (and owner of Terrible Records), this upbeat yet dark ode to the broken heart is part 80s R&B and all groove. The song begins as a classic 80s cry for love, but transitions into a modern display of relationship melodrama: "Hoping that you die unhappy/ I'll do everything I can/ To make sure that you are never happy".



  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 BlogSoup